2020 Charlevoix Chamber Scholarship - info coming soon!
2019 CHAMBER SCHOLARSHIP
Purpose and Criteria:
The Charlevoix Area Chamber of Commerce Scholarship is intended to provide financial support and assistance to an area high school senior that deserves assistance covering tuition expenses associated with higher education.
Application Deadline: Must receive no later than Monday, April 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. EST. UPDATED DEADLINE: Must receive no later than Monday, April 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Charlevoix Area Chamber of Commerce
ATTN: Scholarship Committee
109 Mason St.
Charlevoix, MI 49720
Number of Recipients: There will be ONE scholarship valued at $1500.
This Scholarship is generously funded by: Boat Works of Charlevoix, Fox Charlevoix & Fox Charlevoix Ford, and the Charlevoix Area Chamber of Commerce.
*If your business is interested in partnering to sponsor the scholarship, please reach out to the Chamber office at 231-547-2101.
UPDATE 5.9.19: Due to the overwhelming number of qualified applicants, the Charlevoix Area Chamber of Commerce Board Members and their businesses stepped in to provide three additional $500 scholarships! Thank you to Boat Works of Charlevoix, Hoffman McLane CPA Firm, Round Lake Group, LLC, and Mark Snyder of Pat O'Brien & Associates.
• Must be a graduating high school senior who is planning to attend an accredited vocational school, community college or university.
• Must be accepted to an accredited two or four year institution of higher learning (college or vocational school).
• Must have a 3.0 or better Grade Point Average (GPA)
• Must be either an employee of a business which is a member of the Charlevoix Area Chamber of Commerce or the child of an employee of a Chamber member business
• Immediate family members of the Chamber’s Selection Committee are ineligible to apply for the Chamber Scholarship.
Applications must include:
• Application Form
• Most recent transcript
• Copy of acceptance letter from college or vocational school
• A minimum of one written reference letter from any Chamber Member
* A minimum of one written reference letter from one of your High School teachers.
• A Personal Statement (maximum one (1) typed page) that includes a paragraph on each of the following topics.
1. Leadership: How have you demonstrated strong leadership during your high school years and been a role model for your peers?
2. Perseverance: Provide an example of a time in high school where you faced a challenge and explain how you approached the situation and the outcome.
3. Character: What adjective best describes your personal character and why did you chose this word?
4. Aspirations and Goals: Include your aspirations and goals in life and why you have chosen them.
• Financial need is not necessarily required for the scholarship, but may be taken into consideration by the scholarship committee.
• All students are encouraged to apply regardless of academic merit or financial need status; the scholarship committee will consider all eligible students and will base award decisions on the entire application, not just test scores, grade point average, financial circumstances, etc.
• The Board reserves the right to meet with a candidate when it is felt necessary or appropriate to complete the decision process.
• Winner will be announced in May, 2019.
Ms. Kaitlin Schwenke,
Ms. Katie Burley,
Ms. Devin Sutton,
& Mr. Eric Smith
2018: Ms. Rachel Nesburg
2017: Ms. Abbigail Babbitt
2016: Ms. Kelsey Engstrom
2015: Ms. Kourtney Putman
2014: Ms. Jill Dipert
2013: Ms. Sydney Carlson
2012: Ms. Lauren Bartling,
Ms. Anne Dipert,
Ms. Kelly Greyerbiehl,
Mr. William Jeakle
2011: Ms. Katie Mays,
Ms. Lindsy Laway,
Mr. Thomas Rich
2010: Mr. Beau Boss
2009: Ms. Meredith Rich