Newsletter   485instagram


Charlevoix The Beautiful Mural




In 2013 the DDA starting discussing Placemaking initiatives and how to make our beautiful downtown even more visually appealing. Grant funding from the Charlevoix County Community Foundation and the Michigan Council for the Arts and Cultural Affiars and generous donations from the public made this art project possible. 

In 2014 the DDA invited four local artists to submit concept drawings for the space, located on the corner of Bridge and Clinton Streets. After being reviews by a selection committee and voted on by the public, Katherine Larson was chosen to bring the mural to life.

Her concept, a chronological depiction of downtown Charlevoix, starts in the early 1900's on the left side of the building and ends in the 1960's when famous Charlevoix architect Earl Young was creating some of his masterpieces. A modern day stone wall ties the mural together and matches the artwork with the rest of the present day downtown.






Granting Organizations

Charlevoix County Community Foundation

Michigan Council for the Arts & Cultural Affairs

Community Donors

Fox Motors in Charlevoix

Luther Kurtz

Todd Wyett

George Haggard